Det kan være lurt å ha noen bitende kommentarer eller smarte replikker innabords når du skal ut på byen i helgen.
Gay Star News har samlet 46 av de beste sitatene av Oscar Wilde.
1. True friends stab you in the front.
2. Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead.
3. Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
4. A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.
5. The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.
6. Children begin by loving their parents; after a time they judge them; rarely, if ever, do they forgive them.
7. Always forgive your enemies – nothing annoys them so much.
8. Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion, enmity, worship, love, but no friendship.
9. We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
10. I can resist everything but temptation.
11. There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
12. One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry.
13. There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.
14. Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.
15. No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist.
16. To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.
17. It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.
18. Experience is one thing you can’t get for nothing.
19. America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
20. A man’s face is his autobiography. A woman’s face is her work of fiction.
21. Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.
22. If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.
23. A man who does not think for himself does not think at all.
24. Who, being loved, is poor?
25. A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal.
26. Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
27. An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all.
28. I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself.
29. I am not young enough to know everything.
30. I sometimes think that God in creating man somewhat overestimated his ability.
31. There is no sin except stupidity.
32. As long as war is regarded as wicked, it will always have its fascination. When it is looked upon as vulgar, it will cease to be popular.
33. The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.
34. I am the only person in the world I should like to know thoroughly.
35. Every portrait that is painted with feeling is a portrait of the artist, not of the sitter.
36. You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you have never had the courage to commit.
37. Nothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul.
38. The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.
39. It is a very sad thing that nowadays there is so little useless information.
40. Illusion is the first of all pleasures.
41. When good Americans die they go to Paris.
42. The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius.
43. Questions are never indiscreet, answers sometimes are.
44. It is only the modern that ever becomes old-fashioned.
45. Arguments are to be avoided: they are always vulgar and often convincing.
46. The world is divided into two classes, those who believe the incredible, and those who do the improbable.